Find quick answers to common library and research questions.
How can I access electronic library resources from off-campus?
103 views | 0 0 | Last updated on Apr 12, 2017 Databases/Full text access
Library databases may be accessed by authorized users from on or off-campus.
The use of the Library’s Licensed Databases and E-Journals are covered by separate agreements for each resource.
- Use is restricted to Saint Mary’s academic research, scholarship, and other educational purposes or personal (non-commercial) purposes.
- Authorized users include current students, faculty and staff of the College, and “walk-in” users of the Library
- Fair Use, Copyright Law rights and ADA compliance are included
- Course Packs, Interlibrary Loan and/or Reserve use may be restricted
Consult Library Staff for details regarding the use of specific licensed materials.
Accessing library databases from off-campus
From off-campus, access databases from the library homepage or the A-Z list of databases. You will be prompted to login with your SMC username (i.e. the first part of your SMC email address before @stmarys-ca.edu) and your password (i.e. the same password as for your SMC email). Once authenticated, you will be able to access the library databases from off-campus, and search, print or download articles you want to your computer. The library uses EZProxy authentication. For information about EZProxy, please see below.
For troubleshooting, please see this FAQ - "Why can't I access an online library resource or database?"
The library uses access and authentication software called EZProxy to connect users to many of the library databases and content providers from off-campus. EZProxy works by altering the URLs provided by database vendors to point users to an EZProxy server instead. The result is seamless access to library databases and online articles and journals from off-campus.
Emailing links to library resources so they work off-campus
If you have a link to a library resource that you want to access from off-campus, you can include an EZProxy leader in the URL. This ensures authorized users (students, faculty, and staff) can access the online article, journal, or database from on or off-campus. Here's how to do it:
- Put the EZProxy authentication leader ( https://stmarys-ca.idm.oclc.
org/login?url= ) at the beginning of the URL for the library resource. It now looks something like this: https://stmarys-ca.idm.oclc. org/login?url=http:// onlinelibrary.wiley.com/ . You can email this link and authorized users can access the resource on- or off-campus, after being prompted for their SMC username and password.
- You can select the permalink option for an article - available in many library databases including Multisearch as shown below, which automatically includes the EZ Proxy leader.
Creating a bookmark or activating Zotero Proxy Redirection to add the EZ Proxy leader in front of a link
You can create a bookmark that automatically adds the EZ Proxy leader in front of a link.
- Whenever you click on a link that blocks your access, you can select the bookmark, and the EZ Proxy leader will automatically be pre-pended to the link.
If you use Zotero, you can activate a similar feature called Proxy Redirection that puts the EZ Proxy leader automatically in front of links you accessed through the Library's site on a previous visit.